Saturday, August 21, 2010

Fashion Industry

Internships are typically the most convenient methods of landing a job, especially in the fashion industry! This article highlights several of the important consequences of being an intern, and the invaluable experiences that come along with it. 

When people think of working in fashion or beauty, the The Devil Wears Prada inadvertently comes to mind. In reality, it takes a lot of hard work, and it isn’t as glamorous as it looks.


Now try adding that fast-paced, long-hours lifestyle to being a student, and you have some of the hardest working people at Rutgers. These are students who have interned at places like Versace, Marc Jacobs and Elle and still manage to take 12 or 15 credit semesters.
Meet Chris Rose, Lilian Bard and Michelle Postorino — three of Rutgers finest seniors who have interned with some of the best companies and publications in the fashion and beauty world. Rose is an art history major at Rutgers College, who has interned in the public relations department at Versace and Calvin Klein, and is currently at Marc Jacobs. Bard is a communication major who has interned in MTV’s press department and is currently at Elle magazine in the accessories department. Postorino is a journalism major that has interned for the beauty sections at both Fitness Magazine and Cosmopolitan, and will be at Engelman Public Relations firm in the coming spring.
IB: How did you get your internship?
Bard: I knew pretty early on that I wanted to intern, and that I wanted to be at Elle. So I started Googling it and I came across some information for it and I applied.
Rose: I came across FreeFashionInternships.com and I somehow got an interview with no background in fashion or even retail.
Postorino: I knew that I wanted a beauty internship and my ultimate goal was to work at Cosmo. But, I came across a listing on Ed2010.com for Fitness Magazine’s beauty department and within days I had the job. My internship at Fitness opened the door to my internship at Cosmo.
IB: So what exactly do you do at these internships?
Bard: At Elle, I am in the accessories department and we’re in charge of returns, samples, look books, photo shoots and booking for fashion week.
Rose: Marc and Versace were closely related as far as what I do. I am in charge of sample trafficking. I keep in touch with editors and stylists, e-mailing and pulling pieces from the collections for magazine photo shoots.
Postorino: At Fitness, I was doing a lot of side projects like organizing press releases, getting samples, doing media reports and keeping up with the beauty closet. At Cosmo, I was in charge of finding the products that fit a particular story. It was more hands-on.
IB: Was it hard being a student and having these internships?
Bard: I’m currently taking 15 credits in two days. It takes a physical toll, and you have to be able to balance it out because it can be overwhelming. It helped me learn to balance school and work.
Rose: I found it extremely hard balancing an internship with school. I thought I had perfected being a student and intern but there are always challenges working two or three days a week.
Postorino: My first internship really taught me time management. It can be hard because of the hours, but you have to learn how to make use of your time.
IB: What do you love about interning in particular?
Bard: I get to see everything, including all the collections in the closet before everyone else.
Rose: I was able to attend Fashion Week and also worked at some of the shows.
Postorino: I love the perks; they let us have fun with the makeup!
IB: Do you have any advice for people who are interested in fashion and beauty?
Bard: You really have to love it because it’s super hectic and demanding. Be ready to work long days but if you love it then it’s worth it.
Rose: Definitely keep your relationships strong. Don’t expect what you see and hear about in the movies. You have to expect to start at the bottom and work your way up.
Postorino: The executive editor of Cosmo gave me great advice. She said one of the most important things she learned in this industry is that if you make a mistake, acknowledge it and move on. Don't dwell or beat yourself up over it!
IB: Do you think you’ll stay in fashion/beauty forever?
Bard: Fashion is really young, something I want to stick in for now. I can easily go into public relations. But for now I want to stay in fashion or fashion PR.
Rose: I don’t think that fashion is everything, unlike most people in fashion. They get caught up in the world that they don’t necessarily pay attention to what’s going on in the rest of the world. So, I don’t think I’ll stay in fashion forever.
Postorino: I always thought about beauty and working for a women's magazine. I'm definitely not cut out for fashion, but I think beauty will always be my thing. While interning, I really got interested in making my own beauty line. And now I’m interested in public relations.
Source: Inside Beat, Ariba Alvi

No comments:

Post a Comment